Architectural structures in your community are excellent subjects for children to draw. I live near the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington State. In 2007, a new bridge was built alongside it. We watched the new bridge go up and learned about bridge engineering and construction, which of course, led to a drawing lesson. This lesson is NOT in a Draw Write Now book—the children and I were simply drawing our world!
Basic Bridge Construction
- The basic parts of a suspension bridge: towers, main cables, anchorage, suspender cables, road deck.
- Artistic styles influence engineers as they design a bridge.
Drawing Lesson: Suspension Bridge
Pencil and Crayons
Prepare the Paper
Paper clip or tape the tracing paper onto the tower template. (The template is removed in Step 6 and the white paper is taped to the back of the tracing paper. The drawing will be completed on the tracing paper.)
A Suspension Bridge Near You
The Bridge Lesson can easily be adapted to any suspension bridge. Simply substitute the tower design. (David Denenberg graciously granted permission to link to Bridgemeister.)
- Great Belt East Suspension Bridge, Denmark
- Menai Strait Suspension Bridge, United Kingdom
- Akashi Kaikyo Bridge, Japan
- Kawarau Gorge Suspension Bridge, New Zealand
- Castle Bergedorf Moat Footbridge, Germany